A personal injury or wrongful death case involves a person who has been injured due to someone’s negligence. If you believe that you have a personal injury or wrongful death case, you’ll want the experience, knowledge, and compassion that lawyer Susan Gwinn will bring to your specific situation. With years of experience working in the Athens area, you can put your trust and confidence in Susan.
A personal injury case can be brought when someone was attacked by a dog, hurt in a car accident, defective products, bad food, slipping and falling, and many other situations. In most cases, an injured person will receive medical treatment and a lawsuit will be brought upon the negligent party for compensation. Compensation is typically awarded for three reasons:
- Lost Wages: Income that was lost due to not being able to work.
- Medical Bills: Bills that were accrued prior to a lawsuit being brought as well as expenses that are accumulated after the lawsuit is brought.
- Pain and Suffering: This can be awarded based on how badly the injured person’s life was disrupted due to the injury.
Wrongful death cases may arise due to medical malpractice, car accident, criminal behavior, occupational hazards, or a variety of other situations. In a wrongful death case, the person is deceased, which changes how compensation can be awarded. There are some cases where a personal injury claim is made at first, and is followed by a wrongful death claim. Compensation in wrongful death cases is awarded for other reasons than personal injury.
- Lost Wages: An amount is based on future earnings.
- Medical Treatment: Costs that were accrued up until the time of death.
- Funeral Expenses: Costs of arranging a funeral.
If you have suffered an injury, if you’re facing a lawsuit yourself, or if you’re having difficulties getting your insurance company to pay, get in touch with Susan Gwinn Law. Having an experienced and proficient lawyer on your side will give you peace of mind throughout the entire process.